JCC 3
JCC
- סוג מסמך
- מסמך משפטי
- שפה ראשית
- ערבית
- תאריך
- 1456-01-27
- תאריך מקורי
- 18 Ṣafar 860
- ספרייה
- JCC
- אוסף
- JCC
תיאור
שטר כמעט שלם מבית דין מוסלמי משנת 1456. השטר מתאר בפירוט אירועים שהתרחשו בשנים 1455–1456, כאשר ראשי הקהילות הרבנית והקראית בקהיר פנו לשלטונות לקבל רישיון לשפץ חלקים הרוסים בבתי הכנסת ההרוסים שלהם בקהיר ובפוסטאט. השטר מזכיר דיונים, ערעורים ועדויות קודמים, החוזרים אחורה עד לאירועים שהתרחשו בשנים 1442–1443 (הנידונים במאמרו של מרק כהן). השטר כמעט זהה לשטר אחר הדן באותם אירועים, אך מתמקד בבתי הכנסת הקראיים בקהיר ובפוסטאט (ברובע אלממצוצה). השטר שהתמקד בבתי הכנסת הקראיים נשמר בבית הכנסת הקראי דאר סמחה, ושם נחקר וצולם על ידי ד״ש ריצ׳רדס, שאף פרסם את הטקסט ותרגומו. השטר הנוכחי, המתמקד בבתי הכנסת הרבניים בקהיר ובפוסטאט (בקצר אלשמע), נשמר בידי הקהילה הרבנית. הוא הופקד בארכיון המודרני של הקהילה היהודית הרבנית של קהיר, שהוקם בראשית המאה העשרים. הוא קוטלג על ידי ישראל בן-זאב בשנות השלושים, ואף הוא עשה עותקי צילום. מאז הארכיון אבד, ונראה שהופקד בספרייה הלאומית המצרית (ראו רוסטו). כיום נגישים רק רשימות הקטלוג בכתב יד ועותקי הצילום של בן-זאב. הטקסט והמבנה של השטר כמעט זהים לשטר שכבר ההדיר ותרגם ריצ׳רדס, ולכן התיאור להלן יתמקד בכמה מן ההבדלים: הטקסט של השטר הקיים (בעת שצולם) מקביל משורה 31 ואילך בטקסט של ריצ׳רדס. הוא מזכיר את פניית ראשי שתי הקהילות היהודיות, אך בעוד שטקסט ריצ׳רדס, העוסק בבתי הכנסת הקראיים, מזכיר תחילה את עבד אלחק, ראש הקהילה הקראית, ורק אחר כך את אסחאק, ראש הקהילה הרבנית, הטקסט שלפנינו מזכיר תחילה את ראש הרבנים. בעוד שטקסט ריצ׳רדס מתאר את ״בתי הכנסת השייכים לקראים באלקאהרה ובמצר״, ופונה תחילה אל ״בית הכנסת ברובע חארת זוילה באלקאהרה״ (שורה 67), הטקסט הנוכחי מתאר את ״בתי הכנסת השייכים לרבנים באלקאהרה ובמצר״, ופונה תחילה אל בית הכנסת הרבני ברובע חארת זוילה, ״בסמטה הידועה בשם אלקאבלה״ — תיאור המאושש ממקורות אחרים. לאחר מכן מובא תיאור מפורט של מצבו הנוכחי של בית הכנסת — קטע זה חסר בטקסט המרכזי של ריצ׳רדס, אך כנראה מקביל לשטר מקוטע שאף הוא נשמר בבית הכנסת דאר סמחה ופורסם על ידי ריצ׳רדס. לאחר מכן בא תיאור מפורט של ״שני בתי הכנסת הרבניים הנמצאים במצר״ — ראשית תיאור מפורט של בית הכנסת ״אלשאמיין״, ולאחר מכן של ״כניסת אלעראקיין״. תיאור מפורט זה מקביל לתיאור המקוטע של בית הכנסת הקראי ברובע אלממצוצה בטקסט ריצ׳רדס, המסתיים בשורה 95. רוב יתר הטקסט זהה לחלוטין לטקסט של ריצ׳רדס, כולל התאריך שבו אושרו על ידי בית הדין הבדיקות הראשוניות של בית הכנסת — 17 ברמצ׳אן 859 להג׳רה (31.8.1455). מאוחר יותר נערכו בדיקות ודיונים נוספים. האישור הסופי ניתן ב-18 בצפר 860 להג׳רה (בטקסט ריצ׳רדס על בתי הכנסת הקראיים — 9 בצפר). השטר כולל אישורים ועדויות נוספות של חלק מהמהנדסים והעדים שנכחו בבדיקות.
Princeton Geniza Project description: An almost complete Muslim court deed from 1456 CE. The deed describes in detail events that took place during 1455-1456, as the heads of the Rabbanite and Qaraite communities of Cairo appealed to the authorities to receive permission to renovate ruined parts in their ruined synagogues in Cairo and Fusṭāṭ. The deed mentions various previous discussions, appeals and testimonies, going back the events during 1442-1443 CE (discussed in Mark Cohen’s article in BSOAS 47). The deed is almost identical with a deed discussing the same events, and focusing on the Qaraite synagogues in Cairo and Fusṭāṭ (in al-Mamṣūṣa quarter). The deed focused on the Qaraite synagogues was preserved in the Qaraite synagogue Dār Simḥa, and was studies and photocopied there by D.S. Richards, who also published an edition and translation of it (PGPID 40663). The present deed, focused on the Rabbanite synagogues in Cairo and Fusṭāṭ (in qaṣr al-shamʿ), was kept by the Rabbanite community. It was deposited in the modern archive of the Rabbanite Jewish community of Cairo (JCC) which was created in the early 20th century. It was catalogued by Yisrael Ben-Zeev in the 1930's, and he also made some photocopies. The archive has since been lost, and it seems that it was deposited in the Egyptian National Library (see Rustow, A Lost Archive, p. 496 note 8). Currently, only the hand-written catalogue notes and the photocopies made by Ben-Zeev are accessible, in the National Library of Israel. A full photocopy of the deed can be consulted at the NLI under the shelf mark CAHJP ET-Ca. 21. The text and structure of the deed are almost identical with the deed already edited and translated by Richards, so the description below will focus on some of the differences: The text of the extant deed (in the time the photocopy was made) parallels line 31 onwards in Richards' text. It mentions the appeal of the heads of the two Jewish communities, but while Richards' text, which concerns the Qaraite synagogues, mentions first ʿAbd al-Ḥaqq, the head of the Qaraite community, and only then Iṣḥāq, the head of the Rabbanite community, the present text mentions the Rabbanite head first. While Richards' text describes “the synagogues which belong to the Qaraites in al-Qāhira and Miṣr”, and first turns to “the synagogue in the Ḥārat Zuwayla neighborhood in al-Qāhira” (line 67), the present text describes “the synagogues which belong to the Rabbanites in al-Qāhira and Miṣr”, and first turns the Rabbanite synagogue in the Ḥārat Zuwayla neighborhood, “in the alley known as al-Qābila”, a description confirmed from other sources. Then follows a detailed description of the current condition of the synagogue – this section is missing in Richards' main text, but is probably parallel with fragmented deed also preserved in Dār Simḥa synagogue and published by Richards (PGPID 40664). Then follows a detailed description of “the two Rabbanite synagogues found in Miṣr” - first a detailed description of the synagogue “al-shāmiyīn”, and later of “kanīsat al-ʿirāqiyīn”. This detailed description parallels the fragmented description of the Qaraite synagogue in al-Mamṣūṣa quarter in Richards' text, which ends in line 95. Most of the rest of the text is completely identical with Richards' text, including the date the initial inspections of the synagogue were confirmed by the court – 17 Ramaḍān 859 AH (31.8.1455 CE). Later, further inspections and discussion took place. The final confirmation took place on 18 Ṣafar 860 AH (in Richards' text of the Qaraite synagogues it was 9 Ṣafar). The deed includes further confirmations and testimonies of some of the engineers and witnesses who were present in the inspections.